Single Guy Blogging
A woman's guide to what men *REALLY* think about

Tuesday, February 27, 2007
  Emotional Intelligence
I've been reading an article on emotional intelligence (check it out here), and it hit me how under-valued this type of intelligence is. How many times have you met someone who is incredibly intelligent and well spoken (let's say book smart), yet seems to be unable to carry on a conversation with people, or be able to read when someone is tired or bored.

The article has also left me wondering why men and women seem to be so different with the different types of emotional intelligence.

Example from reading the article -- I would imagine that:

* Women are more comfortable with Personal Competence: self awareness, and Social Competence: Empathy.

* Men are more comfortable with Personal Competence: Self Regulation and Motivation, and Social Competence: Social Skills.

What do you all think? How important is it for a potential mate to read your emotions and non-verbal communication?

Oh, and Take the test (I got a 75 -- would love to know how that compares).
 
Comments:
I got 70! People that lack emotional intelligence probably also lack common sense?
 
My dad made me read a book on Emotional Intelligence that came out a few years ago. I think the author's name was Goleman or Goldman. It explained a lot about some of the a-holes I was working with at the time.
 
I got an 80.... hm...

I believe it's because I think too much
 
BTCOL: Yeah, it sure does seem like it huh?

teahouse: welcome! And do you remember the name of the book?

MJ: I'm not surprised. I would imagine your mind is always going! :)
 
I think it's very important to be able to read your partner. It's a constant struggle, of course, but I think that a certain understanding comes along with having been with the same person over a long period of time.
 
I got 85. I've never really thought of myself as emotionally intelligent though.
 
Though I didn't take the test (something is up with the website i think), I think that the older you get, the more important emotional intelligence becomes. I work with kids in High School, who don't care about anything other than physical appearance and popularity. However, when with my college friends, I have found that it is much more important to be with somebody who you can talk to. Yes, I understand that this doesn't necessarily mean the person is emotionally intelligent, however, being able to read your partner emotionally, in my opinion, really is the key to a successful relationship
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

30-something year old guy hanging out on the left coast.

Archives
February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]