Single Guy Blogging
A woman's guide to what men *REALLY* think about

Friday, March 16, 2007
  A supposedly fun thing I'll never do again
With all due respect to one of my favorite authors, there are times in life when something sounds like it could be fun in a strange way, especially when told by a good salesperson.

Earlier in the week, I got a call from an ex (strange, I am still friends with several of them), who said she met someone that she thought was perfect for me. Note: this isn't necessarily strange as this ex and I are still good friends, we chat frequently, and have a great time when we hang out. Her exact words were "You are going to have SO MUCH FUN. She's witty, cute as a button, and actually 'gets' good humor and quick wit." So I meet up with my ex (and another guy friend) last night for a casual 'pre-st-patty day happy hour' to meet this girl.

The evening started out pretty crazy, as it seemed the entire city had the same idea as we did -- let the weekend start early! Though the girl was definitely "cute as a button" --eek on the phrasing-- it was difficult in such a situation to gather the witty and sense of humor parts. As we found a quieter place to chat, I started gathering that the ex absolutely mistook this girl's complete confusion in her life for "witty". Get this: she was an admin turned personal assistant turned programmer turned project manager turned artist/designer looking to be an entrepreneur (except that she wanted to travel for a few years) -- all that and she is 25. Now my sense of humor is defintely one of timing and wit, so at this point (not as a test, but just as I had a few drinks in me and couldn't help it) I believe I said something like "..wow, a traveling entrepeneur... have you thought about a quick career in construction before that?" The ex got it, but her friend and my set-up both looked at me as if I was serious. Blank stares. I had to follow it up with something lighter or a har-har comment, but overall a total failure. A few more drinks later and the ex started getting a little more flirty, at which point everything got a little weird and I had to excuse myself and get the hell out of there.

Moral of the story: Don't have an ex set you up with someone. If they were not right for you, there's a good chance that their choice will not be either. And don't fall for that "you'll love her.. it's going to be SOOOO fun!"

-SGB
 
Comments:
I leave you with this my friend...
 
she sounds like a space-cadet.

it did seem like a good idea in the beginning....... then again, I would never let an ex set me up since all my relationships went down in a flaming wad of miscommunication and misunderstanding
 
I can't say I'd let my ex set me up - because like you said...if it didnt work out with your ex chances are they aren't going to set you up with someone who is right for you.
Seriously tho - what friend would say yes to being set up with one of their mates ex's?? If one of my girlfriends wanted to set me up with her ex there would be no way I'd go there.
 
This is too funny!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

30-something year old guy hanging out on the left coast.

Archives
February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]